[flashrom] 80/100/132 column line width policy

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Tue Mar 13 22:48:57 CET 2012

Op 11-3-2012 16:51, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger schreef:
> we're hitting the 80 column limit in our code in ways which actually
> reduce readability for the code. Examples are various multiline messages
> and complicated nested code where refactoring to a separate function
> doesn't make sense.

Coming from DOS as as experimentation platform, I guess there's no
sensible way to take in a per-platform (or 'dos' versus 'non-dos')
approach to output messages. Too much if/else, though Stefan's technical
approach/algorythm sounds viable in some kind of odd way.

As a compromise I'd suggest keeping the default (non-verbose) messages
within 80char limit, and everything else (verbose messages, detailed
messages) beyond 80 if so desired. Already used to ugly output anyway
since ReactOS started using Cmake with its full path references.
(for example http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=7390 )

> Regards,
> Carl-Daniel

Is this list accepting Coreboot GSOC idea suggestions? Not subscribed at
the relevant place, don't like to sign up to too many places:

1) Live compile distro (small: puppy/tinycore/partedmagic + GCC?)
2) Somehow make use of raspberry-pi with regard to coreboot
3) DRAM-less system (Coreboot/CAR + SeaBIOS + DOS on AMD APU system?).

Bernd