[flashrom] Help sourcing flash chip W25Q25BV in PDIP8 package.

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Mar 12 15:58:38 CET 2012

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:53:27 -0700
Svetoslav Trochev <svetoslav.trochev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am working on testing flashrom on Zotac ZBOX-AD02-PLUS-U. It uses
> Winbond W25Q25BV. I tried to get one from Digi-Key and Mouser
> Electronics, but they don't have it. I scavenge all my surplus boards
> and laptops, but none of them is using it. Any ideas how to get one?

Hi,

the common 25 series chips of any major flash chip vendor are pretty
much interchangeable, even a different may work without problems, but i
am not sure if the bios would handle that correctly. please note that
you have two times "W25Q25BV" in your mail although the model in your
board is "W25Q32(BV)". neither digi-key nor mouser seem to have 32M dip
chips though...

rs has two amic chips:
https://rs-online.com/web/c/halbleiter/ics-speicher/flash/?sort-by=default&sort-order=default&applied-dimensions=4294875848,4294871909&lastAttributeSelectedBlock=4294959377
they are both untested in flashrom though.. the one with Q in the name
has even a non-standard (and unimplemented) unlocking method... might be
interesting if you want to code something too :)

farnell seems to also have the same amic chips but not in stock.
you could also try local "BIOS repair" shops etc, but they are usually
very expensive.