[flashrom] Ubuntu daily builds PPA

Svetoslav Trochev svetoslav.trochev at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 00:00:08 CET 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Stefan Tauner
<stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 14:05:20 -0800
> Svetoslav Trochev <svetoslav.trochev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > i have setup a flashrom poject at http://launchpad.net/flashrom which
>> > auto-imports the svn every 6 hours and a package archive at
>> > http://launchpad.net/~flashrom-developers/+archive/flashrom-daily
>> > where new binaries are generated once a day whenever the svn has
>> > changed.
>> I found about daily PPA about couple days ago here:
>> http://flashrom.org/Downloads. And used it to collect data from
>> several boards. Is there plan to update the wiki page with info about
>> the new PPA?
>
> jup, i have updated the wiki page before sending the "announce" mail.
> what information do you think is missing/should be added?
>
> --
> Kind regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Stefan Tauner

Ok. I was a bit confused as new person to the project.
There are 4 links: (package overview) [1], (questions) [2], (bugreports) [3]
Let say, I am using Ubuntu 10.04LTS and I want to download and install
latest well tested (stable) version of flashrom. I tried the first
link and there only can see version: 0.9.1+r946-1ubuntu1.
Next two links didn't help at all. Finally I found the
0.9.5.1+r1508-1-20120303~lucid1 version in daily build PPA [4]. I
don't know how the releases are handled, but my experience is that
most of the daily PPAs brake without any notice. This made me quite
uncomfortable to flash M/B using daily build version. I am sure that I
sound quite stupid right now, but I hope that we can provide a bit
more clear picture how the binaries for Ubuntu are maintained and what
version should be used. I hope that this small improvement will lower
the barrier for entrance of new people and help flashrom project as
whole.

[1] http://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashrom
[2] http://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashrom/+questions?field.status=OPEN
[3] http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashrom/+bugs?field.status:list=NEW