[flashrom] Would flashrom work on an old PowerPC Series 1 TiVo ?

Dave Healey dave.healey at tivoland.com
Tue Jun 26 22:36:56 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a load of old Series 1 TiVo's that were based on Power PC.

They have SST39 EPROMS embedded and these EPROMS could be re-programmed with a native tool called getprom.

I would like to use one of these units as a programming device to program the SST39's with different code using the hotswap method to switch SST39's over, leaving the original intact.

I have experimented already and I've been able to reprogram the SST39 using the getprom tool, but it has checks in for the original format of the code, so I need a new tool like flashrom to properly reprogram the SST39's with foreign code (or non native code to the Tivo system.

The only problem is, I don't have the ability to even try to compile flashrom for the TiVo environment.

My question is, do you thing flashrom would do the job and if so, how would I go about getting a binary that would run on the IBM Power PC that is the core of the old S1 Tivo hardware?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Dave.