[flashrom] Flashrom on stock X60(s)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jul 25 04:03:10 CEST 2012

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 19:24:21 +0200
Tomasz Ostaszewski <tomasz.ostaszewski at interia.pl> wrote:

> Hi all.
>    I want to flash on of my X60s with a coreboot using flashrom. I did
> search the flashrom list archive, and I found the "FAILED: MX25L1605
> on Thinkpad X60s" (http://bit.ly/NetLop) and related "Lenovo T60 Type
> 8743-GZU - RAM Support? 3Gb or 4Gb" (http://bit.ly/Mfhi1W) threads.
> Despite what the heading says, those threads do treat about a
> successful flashing of a stock X60s with flahshrom utility. There is
> is almost a complete descripton of what to do, and what to use.
> However, for me there's one piece of the puzzle missing - the patch.
> Peter writes:
>
> "[..]You need the flashrom source, a small patch, and my bucts utility
> from http://git.stuge.se/?p=bucts.git"
>
> The flashrom is readily available from SVN, the bucts from git, but
> what are the patches and where to get them from?
> And, if worst comes to the worst and I brick my X60s, would I be able
> to resurrect it using a programmer and a SOIC-8 clip
> (http://bit.ly/Nj8Sdx)? Or rather (de)soldering would be necessary?

the patch(es) and bucts are needed because the chipset is locked down by
the vendor bios so much that vanilla flashrom can not cope with it (and
modifying it so that it does is neither worth it nor trivial).
please ask the coreboot guys about the details of the procedure.
afaik desoldering is not necessary but an external programmer.

if you already know the complete procedure please ask for a coreboot
wiki account and create an article about it. it is recurring regularly
here and on the coreboot ml (and obviously no one cares to document it
fully).