[flashrom] IBM SurePOS 700 4800-783 support

Jason_Vannest at abercrombie.com Jason_Vannest at abercrombie.com
Wed Jul 11 00:11:05 CEST 2012

Sorry if this is a flashrom noob question.  But I want to make sure that I
understand correctly what your saying.

It sounds like this Renesas H8S2116 controller is something that nobody on
the flashrom dev team has worked on yet?

>From reading your very fine and very detailed web site (congrats on that
BTW), specifically the section on adding support for laptops "
http://www.flashrom.org/Laptops" it sounds like a little bit of a
challenge to add support for a new chipset like this?  Is that a correct
assumption on my part?

We've spoken with IBM and of course all of their current stuff is DOS
based / bootable from USB key.  Of course for a fee they would be willing
to help us out and develop a Linux based program to update the BIOS.....

Does anyone have thoughts on how much time and effort it would take to do
this?  IBM is hardly ever the cheapest solution, so I'm guessing we would
more likely find a more reasonable price from the Open Source
community....

Thanks again for your assistance.

Jason Vannest
Information Technology - Store Systems
Abercrombie & Fitch
614-283-6363 (desk)

From:
Idwer Vollering <vidwer at gmail.com>
To:
Jason_Vannest at abercrombie.com,
Cc:
flashrom at flashrom.org
Date:
07/10/2012 04:52 PM
Re: [flashrom] IBM SurePOS 700 4800-783 support

2012/7/10 <Jason_Vannest at abercrombie.com>
Output from "./flashrom -V -p internal:laptop=this_is_not_a_laptop "

flashrom v0.9.5.2-r1515 on Linux 2.6.32.12-0.7-default (i686), built with
libpci 3.1.7, GCC 4.5.1 20101208 [gcc-4_5-branch revision 167585], little
endian
flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OS timer resolution is 1 usecs, 1774M loops per
second, 10 myus = 10 us, 100 myus = 102 us, 1000 myus = 1009 us, 10000
myus = 9982 us, 4 myus = 5 us, OK.
Initializing internal programmer
No coreboot table found.
DMI string system-manufacturer: "IBM CORPORATION"
DMI string system-product-name: "4800783"
DMI string system-version: "4800783"
DMI string baseboard-manufacturer: "IBM CORPORATION"
DMI string baseboard-product-name: "P4M900/VT8251/DME1737"
DMI string baseboard-version: "<BAD INDEX>"
DMI string chassis-type: ""
DMI chassis-type is not specific enough.
The following protocols are supported: Non-SPI.

So the chipset in your POS machine is, at the moment, not recognized by
flashrom.

No EEPROM/flash device found.
Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't found
automatically.

According to this IBM web page [1] there is a "Service Processor Renesas
H8S2116" [2] present.

[1] http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=pos1R1003969
[2]
http://documentation.renesas.com/doc/products/mpumcu/rej09b0255_h8s2116hm.pdf