[flashrom] directio for flashrom

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Jul 5 21:24:36 CEST 2012

Hi Jernej,

I saw that you sent a pciutils/libpci patch to support your Direct IO
driver on Windows.
flashrom is a GPL'ed utility to read/write flash chips, e.g. the one
storing BIOS/EFI on a mainboard.
Right now, flashrom is quite limited on Windows: It doesn't support
anything which needs MMIO/IOPort access. While it would be possible to
use WinIo, the WinIo license seems to be a bit odd and may be
incompatible with the GPL. Your Direct IO driver has the advantage of
being GPL, but it is missing a key feature needed by flashrom: Mapping
physical memory to the application (similar to MapPhysToLin in WinIo).
flashrom needs uncached mappings of device memory regions, and cached
mappings of RAM regions storing DMI info. I'm not sure whether
NtMapViewOfSection would already be enough for this purpose, or if your
Direct IO driver would have to be extended to offer such functionality.