[flashrom] board inspection results

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun Jan 29 02:53:18 CET 2012

Hi Nick,

Am 28.01.2012 21:51 schrieb Nick O'Neill:
> Hi, I'm trying to write to a Macronix MX25L3205 on a Samsung Series 5 laptop, I backed up the original contents and attempted to flash a new one which always fails at the same spot. Erasing fails at that spot, but succeeds up to then.
>
> I'm happy to do some work to get this working, here's the requested information:
>
> bin (http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1032) for unknown by nickoneill
> superio (http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1031) for unknown by nickoneill
> lspci (http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1030) for unknown by nickoneill
> flash (http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1029) for unknown by nickoneill

That's really odd... do you have dmidecode installed, and if yes, does
it print boatloads of info about your system if you run it?

That said, you should try to run the latest development version of
flashrom from svn (see http://www.flashrom.org/Downloads for
instructions) and paste the output of
flashrom -V
so we can find out more about your chipset, especially lockdown info and
other fun stuff.

Please note that flashing laptops is very risky. Some laptops may turn
off during flashing, and then you have to open the laptop and maybe even
get a soldering iron to reflash the flash chip externally.

http://www.hailfinger.org/