[flashrom] [RFC] Does code implementing support for non-flash EEPROMs belong to 'flashrom'?

Andrey Smirnov andrey.smirnov at convergeddevices.com
Fri Jan 20 03:55:43 CET 2012

Hell everybody,

I'm working with a board that has a ST
M95320-R(http://www.st.com/internet/mcu/product/113067.jsp) EEPROM chip
that works as a NVM for a Gigabit Ethernet card. This chip supports very
basic subset of instructions (read/write, write enable/disable,
read/write status word). Right now, in order to write the firmware to
the chip I use custom tool that does only this task. And I think it
would be much more convenient not to reinvent the wheel and just
implement support of the said microchip in more generic open source tool
such as 'flashrom'. But as far as I can tell, 'flashrom' is the tool
built with flash memory solely in mind (24bit address assumption, erase
+write cycle, etc.). So what I would like to know if 'flashrom' ever
aimed to implement its functionality for aforementioned kind of chips?
Is there any point for me to try to implement said functionality in the
code-base?

Andrey Smirnov

P.S. I'm not subscribed to the mailing list, please CC me in your