[flashrom] Aspire T180: recover erased chip (was: flashrom -V)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 12 02:16:45 CET 2012

Dear Vince,

Am Donnerstag, den 12.01.2012, 01:01 +0100 schrieb Stefan Tauner:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:20:25 +0100 Vince S <vince06fr at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello and sorry for your loss!
> to spare others from experiencing what you have done today, i would
> like to know the reason WHY you did execute flashrom -E?
> what would have stopped you? do you think a message printed by
> flashrom like "The flash chip is now empty, do not turn off the PC!"
> would have helped you i.e. would have stopped you from powering off?
>
> to recover your board the flash chip has to be written with the correct
> image. as this can not be done from the PC itself it has to be done
> by an external programmer. maybe you know some hardware guys or a fablab
> in your area that could help. if the flash chip is in a socket you can
> also easily order a replacement and put it in yourself.

if I am not mistaken you can also find a system similar to yours (same
socket and protocol [1]). Maybe you have other systems lying around or
just ask around for example your family or friends.

Boot that system, then when it is running, take out their chip [2], put
yours in and flash the original image to it using Flashrom or the vendor
tool. Swap the chips again, put it back in your system and you should be
good to go. This is known as hot flashing.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://flashrom.org/Technology
[2] http://flashrom.org/File:Pushpin_roms_2.jpg