[flashrom] FAILED: HM77 (Macbook Pro retina)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 31 19:13:40 CET 2012

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 09:55:28 -0700
Trammell Hudson <hudson at osresearch.net> wrote:

> No changes were written to the executable portions of the ROM.  The
> data regions at 0x2000-0x2FFF, 0x6400-0x67FF, 0xC000-0x14FFF, 0x1C000,
> 0x3C000, 0x40000-0x4BFFF were overwritten correctly.  My firmware image
> differed only in those regions below 0x190000, so it might have
> successfully written to the entire 0x0-0x4BFFF (or even higher) space.

The terms executable and data region are not very accurate. The ME
region (0x00001000 - 0x0018ffff) is executed by the embedded controller
embedded in the PCH.

> The ROM image that I was writing had changes in the executable firmware
> volume starting at 0x190000.

This contradicts what you wrote in the first paragraph (but is in line
with the log).

> These were not written to the ROM.
> I have successfully rebooted and can reflash via external SPI if
> necessary for further tests.

This is expected behavior, hence the warning and need to the override -
no further tests necessary. Your command line looks wrong regarding the
needed force switch, but if there was a bug it is fixed now AFAICS.
Thanks for your report I'll add the system to our list with an
appropriate note.