[flashrom] VIA VT6421A (HZ-006)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Dec 27 22:18:26 CET 2012

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 15:42:39 +0800
Roy <roytam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It has "HZ-006" printed on the PCB. It does have Pm39LV512-70JCB on the
> board, but it seems no firmware written and no boot ROM messages.

Hello Roy,

thanks for your report! I am collecting some facts about existing cards
in our wiki: http://flashrom.org/VT6421A
I have added the ones I know about your card and would like to add the
remaining ones...

> […]
>
> flashrom v0.9.6.1-r1564 on Linux 2.6.32-5-686 (i686)
> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>
> flashrom was built with libpci 3.1.7, GCC 4.4.5, little endian
> Command line (3 args): ./flashrom -p atavia -V
> Calibrating delay loop... OS timer resolution is 1 usecs, 261M loops per
> second, delay more than 10% too short (got 87% of expected delay),
> recalculating... 296M loops per second, 10 myus = 10 us, 100 myus = 98 us,
> 1000 myus = 986 us, 10000 myus = 9789 us, 4 myus = 5 us, OK.
> Initializing atavia programmer
> Found "VIA VT6421A" (1106:3249, BDF 00:0f.0).
> ===
> This PCI device is UNTESTED. Please report the 'flashrom -p xxxx' output
> to flashrom at flashrom.org if it works for you. Please add the name of your
> PCI device to the subject. Thank you for your help!
> ===
> Requested BAR is ROM
> Error: No supported PCI device found.

I am not entirely sure what happens there. Obviously pcidev_readbar
reads 0... but we are not using that anyway and don't abort in that
case AFAICS. There has been some discussion about refactor these parts
and that would at least get rid of that message. I'll have to
investigate and discuss this with my colleagues.
What happens after that? flashrom exits?
Can you please add -VVV to the command line and resend the resulting
log?