[flashrom] flashrom regression in 0.9.6.1?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 26 12:11:23 CET 2012

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 11:35:21 +0100
Oliver Lehmann <lehmann at ans-netz.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> with 0.9.5.2 it was possible to simply upgrade my boards BIOS:
>
> flashrom v0.9.5.2-r1515 on FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE (amd64), built with
> libpci 3.1.10, GCC 4.2.1 20070831 patched [FreeBSD], little endian
> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> Found chipset "AMD SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0". Enabling flash write... OK.
> Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q32" (4096 kB, SPI) at physical address
> 0xffc00000.
> Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling coreboot-related checks.
> Reading old flash chip contents... done.
> Erasing and writing flash chip... Erase/write done.
> Verifying flash... VERIFIED.
>
> It looks like 0.9.6.1 is no longer able to upgrade the BIOS:
>
> # flashrom -w E35M1-M-ASUS-1502.ROM
> flashrom v0.9.6.1-r1564 on FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE (amd64)
> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>
> Please select a programmer with the --programmer parameter.
> Valid choices are:
> internal, dummy, nic3com, nicrealtek, gfxnvidia, drkaiser, satasii, serprog,
> buspirate_spi, rayer_spi, pony_spi, nicintel, nicintel_spi, ogp_spi, satamv

Hello Oliver,

we have changed the command line interface a bit. It is now needed to
select the programmer module even in those cases that did not require
it previsouly. We have changed the message after that because others
had the same problem understanding the new situation as you had.
The new message is this:

Please select a programmer with the --programmer parameter.
Previously this was not necessary because there was a default set.
To choose the mainboard of this computer use 'internal'. Valid choices are:
internal, dummy, nic3com, nicrealtek, gfxnvidia, drkaiser, satasii, ft2232_spi,
serprog, buspirate_spi, rayer_spi, pony_spi, nicintel, nicintel_spi, ogp_spi,
satamv, linux_spi.

So you just need to ad "-p internal" to the command line.