[flashrom] BPv3.6 w flashrom

Idwer Vollering vidwer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 13:05:04 CET 2012

2012/12/5 Nabs <ch12011-7 at yahoo.com.au>:
> Hi, sorry for the trouble. I'm running bus piratev3.6, bootloaderv4.4,
> firmwarev6.1 on flashrom-0.9.6.1, i plan to run the BP at 1M.
>
> When i run the command "flashrom -p buspirate_spi:dev=/dev/ttyUSB0 -Vr
> oldbios.bin"
> I get:
> "
> Found Generic flash chip "unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0 kB, SPI) on
> buspirate_spi.
> Probing for Generic unknown SPI chip (REMS), 0 kB: probe_spi_rems: id1 0x0,
> id2 0x0
> Found Generic flash chip "unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0 kB, SPI).
> ===
> This flash part has status NOT WORKING for operations: PROBE READ ERASE
> WRITE
> " etc...
>

> I think i have the wiring wrong which is why i get that error, i wonder if
> you could help me as its my first time?
> I'm trying to use In-circuit programming with a soldered bios chip using an
> 'SOIC 8 clip' and it has 8 wires. But the bus pirate has 10 pins.
>
> From another thread, these are the connections i need:
> Bus Pirate "MISO" (Pin 1) <----- SPI Device "DO" (Wire/Pin 2)
> Bus Pirate "CS" (Pin 2) -----> SPI Device "CS" (Wire/Pin 1)
> Bus Pirate "MOSI" (Pin 3) -----> SPI Device "DI" (Wire/Pin 5)
> Bus Pirate "CLK" (Pin 4) -----> SPI Device "CLK" (Wire/Pin 6)
> Bus Pirate "GND" (Pin 10) <----> SPI Device "GND" (Wire/Pin 4)
>
> It appears to me that GND is pin 10 and that the wires of the SOIC8 clip
> only contact pins 1-8, so how can this work?
>
> Also, could i just check the layout of the pins on the bus pirate if i'm
> reading it correctly on BPv3.6:
> 10  9
> 8    7
> 6    5
> 4    3
> 2    1
>
> Corresponding to:
> GND  3V3
> +5V    ADC
> VPU   AUX
> CLK    MOSI
> CS     MISO

Forget the existence of +5V, VPU, ADC and AUX for now (
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate_I/O_Pin_Descriptions ),
connect the clip to the buspirate so that the clip passes the
buspirate pins like mentioned in this post:
http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/flashrom/2012-November/010178.html

This works for me, with a MX25L1605A soic8 chip:

CS# (CS)                                          [1  chip  8]    VCC
(bridge with buspirate pin 3+7)
SO (MISO)                                        [2  chip  7]    HOLD# (+3V3)
WP# (bridge with buspirate pin 7+8)    [3  chip  6]    SCLK (CLK)
GND (GND)                                       [4  chip  5]    SI (MOSI)