[flashrom] Flashrom v0.9.6.1-r1564 BIOS reading fail on HP EliteBook 8560p

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Dec 1 02:24:05 CET 2012

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 12:21:28 +0100
Marc-Alexandre Espiaut <lunavorax at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's the log you're asking for.
> I haven't installed dmidecode since it prevents flashrom from running
> on a laptop for security reasons.
>
> Replacing the current BIOS on this laptop would be a blast. HP/Compaq
> BIOS prevents the user to change the hardware to what they want. For
> exemple, replacing a Mini PCI-e Wifi card that requires proprietary
> drivers with one that can use FOSS drivers.
>
> Hope that helps, feel free to contact me for further informations
> about my laptop.

Hello Marc-Alexandre,

thanks for your report, but flashrom won't work on that machine anytime
soon (or ever).

I have added the board to our list of (un)supported boards (with an
appropriate note) and will commit that later together with other small
changes.

You could get/build an external programmer, dismantle the laptop, find
the flash chip and write it that way.
see http://flashrom.org/Supported_programmers
and http://flashrom.org/ISP

That's all we can do for you, sorry.