[flashrom] EC A928 failed flash. part 2.1

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Dec 1 02:13:00 CET 2012

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 22:25:09 +0100
Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 19:50:01 +0100
> simon <simon.riget at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > -I determined BIOS version by entering the BIOS setup.
> >
> > -The flashrom version i'm using doesn’t support the -o option
> > -Output didn't show any errors.
> >
> > - Now I can't read the flashrom to file. Do you recommend using the -f
> > option?
> >
> > #flashrom -p internal -r read2.rom -V
> > <output>
> > flashrom v0.9.5.2-r1517 on Linux 3.2.0-33-generic-pae (i686), built with
> > libpci 3.1.8, GCC 4.6.3, little endian
> > flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
> >
> > Calibrating delay loop... OS timer resolution is 2 usecs, 1185M loops
> > per second, 10 myus = 11 us, 100 myus = 101 us, 1000 myus = 1030 us,
> > 10000 myus = 10130 us, 8 myus = 10 us, OK.
> > Initializing internal programmer
> > No coreboot table found.
> > DMI string system-manufacturer: "Elitegroup Co.                  "
> > DMI string system-product-name: "i-Buddie                        "
> > DMI string system-version: "1.0                             "
> > DMI string baseboard-manufacturer: "Elitegroup Co. "
> > DMI string baseboard-product-name: "i-Buddie "
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^
> > DMI string baseboard-version: "2.0                             "
> > DMI string chassis-type: "Portable"
>                             ^^^^^^^^
> compare that to http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=1442
> while the DMI data is not directly read from flash, it is a clear sign
> that the BIOS has changed (the firmware sets up the DMI table in memory
> where flashrom reads it then).
> so flashrom clearly did work as intended, that's great.
>
> because elitegroup changed the chassis type to "portable" flashrom
> thinks it is running on a laptop and bails out for safety reasons.
> you have to use -p internal:laptop=force_I_want_a_brick because of that
> until we whitelist that system in a future version, sorry.

i have prepared a patch to whitelist that laptop. it would be awesome
if you could compile flashrom with the following line added to the big
array in board_enable.c around line 2400, the exact line does not
matter as long as it is somewhere inside the table
	{0x1039, 0x6325, 0x1019, 0x0f05,  0x1039, 0x0016,      0,      0, NULL,         NULL, NULL,           P2, "Elitegroup",  "A928",                  0,   OK, p2_whitelist_laptop},

after adding that and recompiling, you should be able to use flashrom
again without the laptop force switch (and i could rest assured that
the patch works).