[flashrom] IBM lflash source code?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Aug 25 03:13:55 CEST 2012

Hi Mike,

a few years ago, you asked about IBM lflash (firmware updating of BIOS,
RSA, and BMC hardware under Linux) users on the xcat.org mailing list.
Are you still involved with that project inside IBM, and if not, do you
know anyone I can contact about getting the source code for it or
getting documentation for the hardware interfaces it uses?

Background: I am one of the developers of the open source (GPLv2
license) flashrom utility which can update the firmware/BIOS/EFI of most
x86 mainboards from within a Linux/*BSD/DOS system, and which can also
update the firmware on quite a few network/storage/graphics cards.

We would love to add a driver for IBM RSA/BMC firmware updating to
flashrom, and we have been approached by someone whose company is using
IBM SurePOS all over the world. lflash is apparently almost(?)
impossible to get by for SurePOS, and save rebooting every terminal into
DOS, flashrom seems to be the only choice right now. Writing a flashrom
driver for new hardware is easy (~30 lines of code), and if we can get
documentation for the flashing interface of IBM RSA/BMC, we will do that
ourselves and integrate that driver into the official flashrom sources.

Thanks in advance for your help.