[flashrom] LGPL

Rolette, James (Jay) rolette at hp.com
Fri Apr 27 14:59:14 CEST 2012

Hi Luc,

> It's easy to make requests like this, even though i find your
> explanation as to why you think VxWorks users (what vxworks users would
> even know of flashrom?) will not use flashrom rather hairy.

Not sure I understand the expression here... hairy == questionable/unlikely?

> It's not nearly so easy to actually make such a change, as such a license
change
> entails getting permission from all individual contributors.

Ok.  Wasn't sure how copyright assignment was being handled on flashrom.

> So, here is the deal, a deal that i think most people on this ml would
> wholeheartedly agree with: if _you_ want LGPL, _you_ get to sollicite
> all individual contributors.

Fair enough.  A few questions on that:

1) I'm assuming there are is a small core of folks that form the heart of
the project.  I'd like to start with them if possible because there is no
point in going broader than that if the core developers don't agree.

Would someone be willing to provide a list of the "leaders"?  A quick look
at the source shows a few names that show up a lot (Uwe, Carl-Daniel,
Stefan, etc.), but always hard to tell without the benefit of having
followed the project over time.

2) What is required from each contributor?  Just an email approving a move
to LGPL for their contribution?  Something more specific?

3) Is it ok to derive the list of approvers based on the copyright statement
in the source files?

Thanks,
Jay