[flashrom] Flash chip in unknown state - erase failed

Dan Kern Photo dankernphoto at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 23:16:24 CEST 2012

Hi Stefan!
Thanks for the fast reply! And the comforting words (although panic is
for noobs, yes?) :-)

I updated flashrom as you suggested and ran it again. Thanks for that.
I think it worked fine. Here's the output:

        desktop2 at Desktop2:~/Downloads$ sudo flashrom -w 1101.BIN
        flashrom v0.9.5.2-runknown on Linux 2.6.32-40-generic-pae
        (i686), built with libpci 3.0.0, GCC 4.4.3, little endian
        flashrom is free software, get the source code at
        http://www.flashrom.org

        Calibrating delay loop... OK.
        Found chipset "NVIDIA MCP51". Enabling flash write... OK.
        Disabling flash write protection for board "ASUS M2NBP-VM
        CSM"... OK.
        Found SST flash chip "SST49LF040B" (512 kB, LPC) at physical
        address 0xfff80000.
        Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling
        coreboot-related checks.
        Reading old flash chip contents... done.
        Erasing and writing flash chip... Erase/write done.
        Verifying flash... VERIFIED.
        desktop2 at Desktop2:~/Downloads$

What say you, doctor?
Thanks again.