[flashrom] chip footnotes/different voltages on chips with shared IDs (was: Zotac ZBOX-AD02-PLUS-U: System Testing)

Svetoslav Trochev svetoslav.trochev at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 00:42:10 CEST 2012

Hi Stefan,

>> P.S. I notice that in the WIKI page the Winbond W25Q32 is listed as
>> 2.7V ~ 3.6V chip, but in my search I found out that this chip has two
>> versions now:
>> W25Q32BV - 2.7V ~ 3.6V and
>> W25Q32DW - 1.7V ~ 1.95V
>> I don't think we ever going to see "...DW" chip in PC, but I think it
>> is good idea to update Wiki to list the right chip W25Q32BV.
>
> hm yes, that is indeed a minor problem. please note that the voltages
> are not used (yet) to change the actual voltage on programmers that
> support this feature.

I thought, it would be simple documentation update, but now I
understand it could become a real problem in near future.

> your solution is not convincing though. one problem is, that flashrom
> is not only used with PC hardware. another one is that flashrom (and
> the wiki) groups chips together that can not be distinguished by any ID
> command (yet). it may be possible to distinguished the chips above with
> some non-standard and/or extended ID command which has not been
> implemented yet - i have not checked that.

I see the problem.

> in any case it might be a good idea to be able to add footnotes to
> chips too and i have put that on my todo list.
> the short-term solution would be a comment in flashchips.c on
> all/many/some affected chips (at least the whole W25Q series is
> probably affected). patches/findings welcome ;)

I think you should put your todo item on hold for now. Let me try to
compile flashrom from source and I think this should be very easy
patch for first-timer like me. Let see if I can actually do something
useful.... I mean to create actual patch for flashchips.c.

Thank you,
Svetoslav