[flashrom] My first question...

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Fri Sep 30 19:32:05 CEST 2011

Op 30-9-2011 19:09, Marcos Felipe Rasia de Mello schreef:

>> I get differences with the previous one. I haven't enter in the bios or change
>> anything... I was expecting no differences between them. Am I missing
>> anything?
>>
>> Regards
>> Jorge
>
> http://flashrom.org/Random_notes#Bios_content_changes_between_reboots

It might be usefull if Flashrom gets a percentage counter:

'file savebios.bin is 99.3% identical to EEPROM contents, continue at
your own risk. It's also 50.0 % identical to file asusbios.bin'

instead of something along the lines of 'verification failed, file is
corrupt'.

Above example would also require a way to reference a 2nd file to verify
against. Let's say that 2nd file is an internet-downloaded original
motherboard vendor's BIOS instead of a flashrom dumped file.

After all, people might want to check if flashrom works correctly before
writing anything. What better way than dump current bios, compare dumped
file to bios but also compare to vendor bios file. All 3 should be
(near-)identical.