[flashrom] Flashrom & Intel DH67CF

Matthijs van Aalten flashrom at vanaalten.net
Sat Sep 3 08:14:37 CEST 2011

Hi,

Can you tell me if it is (mostly) safe to use Flashrom 0.9.4 on my Intel
DH67CF main board?
The log doesn't make it clear how risky it is to flash. I've attached
the 'flashrom -V' log file.

What makes me afraid to try:

Warning messages in the log file:
"WARNING: BIOS region SMM protection is enabled!"
"tried to set 0xdc to 0x23 on H67 failed (WARNING ONLY)"
"WARNING: SPI Configuration Lockdown activated."
... is all a bit too technical but not very positive.

I've downloaded the latest BIOS for this mainboard and flashed it from
the BIOS utility itself (file used: BL0128P.BIO).
Then I did a verify job with Flashrom - ideally it should read the flash
memory and report it equal to the downloaded file:
 > flashrom -v BL0128P.BIO
flashrom v0.9.4-r1395 on Linux 3.0.0 (x86_64), built with libpci 3.1.7,
GCC 4.4.5, little endian
flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Found chipset "Intel H67".
This chipset is marked as untested. If you are using an up-to-date version
of flashrom please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org including a
verbose (-V) log. Thank you!
Enabling flash write... WARNING: BIOS region SMM protection is enabled!
tried to set 0xdc to 0x23 on H67 failed (WARNING ONLY)
WARNING: SPI Configuration Lockdown activated.
FAILED!
This chipset supports the following protocols: FWH, SPI.
Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L3205" (4096 kB, SPI) at physical address
0xffc00000.
Error: Image size doesn't match

But: the Macronix flash chip as well as the Intel chipset (H67) are
supported by Flashrom 0.9.4.

All in all I'm reluctant to try it - especially since it already has a
problem reading and verifying the BIOS.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Matthijs