[flashrom] Programming an A25L40 EEPROM

Arup Basak arup at circuitsdiy.com
Thu Oct 27 17:26:13 CEST 2011

I have the 512KB bios file, and was trying to program it with flashrom and
buspirate.
Looks like one version of flashrom says "missing libftdi.dll" while another
version says programmer buspirate_spi not supported.
Can you give me link of any latest version. I have tried to copy the
libftdi.dll into the flashrom directory, also tried 'regsrv32 libftdi.dll'
in a command-box (where regsrv32 looks to be absent in Windows 7)

One more thing, when I hooked up the SPI chip to buspirate, if I use
terminal mode of buspirate and set correct mode, then if I try to read some
block using CS enables, I get 0x00 and if I keep CS disabled I get 0xFF.
I've tried to write anything with both CS enabled and disabled. But values
are read as above.
Maybe I've settled up wrong mode while trying to access EEPROM from
buspirate terminal mode. . I've worked with mode 5 spi, 125khz, Clock
polarity:Idle low , Output clock edge:Active to idle, Input sample
phase:middle, Output mode: Normal (H=3.3V, L=GND), W(power supplies on).
I didn't need to do so because for flashing my BIOS chip, I am trying to use
flashrom.
This is the fresh chip I bought for recovery.
http://in.rsdelivers.com/product/amic-technology/a25l040m-f/spi-flash-4mb-sop8-3v-4mx1/0573498.asp
Note: The BIOS chips is of my tablet, and not PC, so no problem if it takes
few days to resolve issues and program it. It isn't much serious case when
someone corrupts motherboard's BIOS. I know flashrom's support is free and
takes few hours to get reply. It's not an issue in my case.