[flashrom] ASUS

Chris mindzeebeez at me.com
Fri Oct 21 20:20:47 CEST 2011

On 10/21/2011 12:57 PM, Stefan Tauner wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 23:39:47 +0100
> Chris<mindzeebeez at me.com>  wrote:
>
>> By the way I have contacted ASUS about the problem, but no answer.
>> I would be only too willing to make a donation to the project if we can
>> get this sorted out!
> hello!
>
> i am not sure why, but we have not received your first mail. we had
> some maintenance yesterday so...

Hi,
I have tried the flash process with the additional parameter now, and
get the error output described below:

flashrom v0.9.4-r1394 on Linux 3.0.0-12-generic (i686), built with
libpci 3.1.7, GCC 4.6.1, little endian
flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OS timer resolution is 1 usecs, 2188M loops
per second, 10 myus = 11 us, 100 myus = 100 us, 1000 myus = 995 us,
10000 myus = 9960 us, 4 myus = 4 us, OK.
Initializing internal programmer
No coreboot table found.
DMI string system-manufacturer: "System manufacturer"
DMI string system-product-name: "System Product Name"
DMI string system-version: "System Version"
DMI string baseboard-manufacturer: "ASUSTeK Computer INC."
DMI string baseboard-product-name: "P5L-VM 1394"
DMI string baseboard-version: "Rev 1.xx"
DMI string chassis-type: "<OUT OF SPEC>"
DMI chassis-type is not specific enough.
WARNING! You may be running flashrom on an unsupported laptop. We could
not detect this for sure because your vendor has not setup the SMBIOS
tables correctly. You can enforce execution by adding
'-p internal:laptop=force_I_want_a_brick' to the command line, but
please read the following warning if you are not sure.

Laptops, notebooks and netbooks are difficult to support and we
recommend to use the vendor flashing utility. The embedded controller
(EC) in these machines often interacts badly with flashing.
See http://www.flashrom.org/Laptops for details.

If flash is shared with the EC, erase is guaranteed to brick your laptop
and write may brick your laptop.
Read and probe may irritate your EC and cause fan failure, backlight
failure and sudden poweroff.
You have been warned.
Aborting.

> Please, the first reference to the Asus website is the correct one I was basing my query on:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090425024409002&board_id=1&model=P5L-VM+1394&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

...but the second one showing the barebone is incorrect, I have a low
profile chassis. Should I open her up and get the chassis number if this
would help solve my problem? As I say I am more than willing to make a
donation if I can get this sorted, I have been to the shop which sold me
the computer and they couldn't sort it out.
   Problem started when I updated the wireless card driver and had to
re-seat the driver card. Things got a bit technical and I now have the
"Intel CPU U-Code loading error. Press f1 to continue"  kind of error
message every time I boot up, so I thought flashing the BIOS to a more
recent one would solve this annoyance.
Thanks again for your help here.
Chris