[flashrom] Success report: MSI A75MA-G55 (MS-7696)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Oct 13 20:11:18 CEST 2011

Thanks for flashrom! It enabled me to fix some problems I was having
without buying a copy of Windows.  Diagnostics for this board attached.

Say, MSI BIOS updating is a mess.  MSI provides a Windows-only tool, the
users on their forum have made a bootable-USB builder (Windows-only)
which installs a flash tool, and MSI endorses that, but the users say to
never use the flash tool that MSI distributes.  Worse yet, MSI no longer
distributes flash images via their website - they want you to update
with their Windows tool (apparently one can e-mail support for a copy of
the flash images; I just grabbed a final beta from the forum as I had
limited time).  The forum-users' tool apparently (from screenshots) can
also download the flash images from MSI (with versioning, so one can
downgrade).

Anyway, that's quite a bit of background to ask if it anybody has
discussed adding vendor-specific handlers/plugins to qflashrom.  If
that's desirable the logic for MSI could probably be ported over from
the Windows tool.  The flashrom LiveCD would be tremendously useful for
folks in the field with this sort of capability.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle