[flashrom] Intel SCH Poulsbo

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Oct 1 00:09:18 CEST 2011

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 14:31:22 +0200
"MONDON Daniel" <Daniel.MONDON at lpgsystems.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Flashrom V0.9.4-r1395 results:
> Found chipset « Intel SCH Poulsbo”
> Found SST flash chip “SST49LF008A” (1024kB, FWM) @ 0xfff00000
>
> I am under TCL (TinyCore Linux).
>
> Flashing Bios is OK, but erasing flash need many loops to erase all flash (from 0x1000 to 0xFF000 = 256 loops).
> But sometimes, it is ok in one time.
>
> What can I do to increase erasing speed (times) … or is there any known bug … perhaps increasing timeout … or ?

hello daniel,

if you could provide some verbose (-V) logs of said behavior we might
be able to tell you the reason. i believe that sometimes parts of the
chip's contents and the file to be written are equal. flashrom will not
try to erase those sectors then and just print S (for skip; in verbose
mode only).
if you have not found a bug, then there is probably not much potential
for speedup on internal programmers (i.e. motherboards). they are
usually limited by the speed of the flash chip and/or its bus. erasing
flash chips can take quite some time - more than one minute - depending
on the model. in your case though it seems to be very fast according
to the data sheet... what durations are we talking about btw?

i have also marked the SST49LF008A as fully tested and will commit that
later.