[flashrom] Successful test on Asus P5K-VM

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Nov 2 22:39:45 CET 2011

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:11:54 +0100
Grischa Ebinger <grischa.ebinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was able to successfully reflash the BIOS of a P5K-VM motherboard
> with flashrom-0.9.4. It recognized 2 different flash chips (AT25DF081A
> and AT26DF081A) at the same address. I selected the first of the two
> chipsets.
>
> I wasn't sure if flashrom did support my hardware. According to your
> wiki it wasn't tested before. Luckily, it did its job without a
> hiccup. Thank you a lot for providing such a useful tool, I hope I can
> help you by sending you this new data.

Hello Grischa,

Thanks for your report!
I have marked the mainboard as supported and will commit that later
together with other small changes.

> […]
> Probing for Atmel AT25DF081A, 1024 kB: probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1
> 0x1f, id2 0x4501
> Chip status register is 00
> Found Atmel flash chip "AT25DF081A" (1024 kB, SPI) at physical address
> 0xfff00000.
> Ignoring security lockdown (if present)
> Ignoring status register byte 2
> Chip status register is 00
> Chip status register: Sector Protection Register Lock (SRPL) is not set
> Chip status register: Bit 6 is not set
> Chip status register: Erase/Program Error (EPE) is not set
> Chip status register: WP# pin (WPP) is asserted
> Chip status register: Software Protection Status (SWP): no sectors are protected
> Chip status register: Write Enable Latch (WEL) is not set
> Chip status register: Write In Progress (WIP/BUSY) is not set
> Probing for Atmel AT25DF161, 2048 kB: probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1
> 0x1f, id2 0x4501
> Probing for Atmel AT25DF321, 4096 kB: probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1
> 0x1f, id2 0x4501
> Probing for Atmel AT25DF321A, 4096 kB: probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1
> 0x1f, id2 0x4501
> Probing for Atmel AT25DF641, 8192 kB: probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1
> 0x1f, id2 0x4501
> Probing for Atmel AT25DQ161, 2048 kB: probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1
> 0x1f, id2 0x4501
> Probing for Atmel AT25F512B, 64 kB: probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1 0x1f, id2 0x4501
> Probing for Atmel AT25FS010, 128 kB: probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1 0x1f,
> id2 0x4501
> Probing for Atmel AT25FS040, 512 kB: probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1 0x1f,
> id2 0x4501
> Probing for Atmel AT26DF041, 512 kB: probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1 0x1f,
> id2 0x4501
> Probing for Atmel AT26DF081A, 1024 kB: probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1
> 0x1f, id2 0x4501
> Chip status register is 00
> Found Atmel flash chip "AT26DF081A" (1024 kB, SPI) at physical address
> 0xfff00000.
> Chip status register is 00
> Chip status register: Sector Protection Register Lock (SRPL) is not set
> Chip status register: Sequential Program Mode Status (SPM) is not set
> Chip status register: Erase/Program Error (EPE) is not set
> Chip status register: WP# pin (WPP) is asserted
> Chip status register: Software Protection Status (SWP): no sectors are protected
> Chip status register: Write Enable Latch (WEL) is not set
> Chip status register: Write In Progress (WIP/BUSY) is not set
> […]
> Multiple flash chips were detected: "AT25DF081A", "AT26DF081A"

the chips are not found "at the same address", but report the same ID
when queried. atmel did no give them distinct IDs so we can not
distinguish them on our own, hence your help was required*, sorry.

* i have not looked at the respective datesheets. it is possible that
  the other definition would work equally.

> […]
>
> $ lspci -nnvvxxx
> […]
not needed in this case.