[flashrom] [Patch] add board enable for Asus A8AE-LE (HP OEM) (was: erase failed: ASUS A8AE-LE)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Thu May 5 16:38:36 CEST 2011

On Wed, 04 May 2011 09:24:44 +0200
Paul Menzel <paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 04.05.2011, 03:27 +0200 schrieb Stefan Tauner:
> > with the help of xvilka, idwer and roysjosh i did my first board
> > enable today. it was a standard awdflash RE job; the disassembly is
> > on xvilka's gobby server, if you are interested.
>
> is there a tutorial somewhere or could you write something up and put
> into the coreboot (blog) planet.

xvilka has started on working on a tutorial which extends the fosdem
slides, but i hadnt the change to look at it yet.
some notes on the slides are necessary and good, but a full tutorial
could easily become an "all you ever wanted to know about computer
basics" :) there are already a lot of resources on the net regarding
all topics involved.
xvilka mentioned:
http://sites.google.com/site/pinczakko/pinczakko-s-guide-to-award-bios-reverse-engineering
and "practical bios editing" http://rghost.net/5454982
generic info about x86 assembler and pci programming are easily to find.
i think the best way would be to extend the existing wiki pages:
http://flashrom.org/Board_Enable
and
http://flashrom.org/Finding_Board_Enable_by_Reverse_Engineering

>> […]
>
> If your patch gets committed, please fix s/enabble/enable/.

was already fixed when i read this :)
i have also changed the comments a bit and included a reference to the
datasheet used and i have changed the constants representing the
fifth bit from 0x20 to a more generic 1<<5.
i have rebased the patch to the current head (r1294) including "Revamp
board-specific quirk handling, allow for laptop support".

after a short discussion with michael (and idwer before) i have also
removed the dmi matching string (pci ids probably specific enough, dmi
possibly too restrictive).

joshua roys has reviewed the previous version (on irc) and a success
report (also with the previous version) is here:
http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=551