[flashrom] RFC: conditionalize delays in JEDEC erase instructions

Michael Karcher flashrom at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Sat Mar 5 00:30:49 CET 2011

Am Freitag, den 04.03.2011, 22:45 +0100 schrieb Michał Janke:
> Well, it IS strange - sometimes the chip gets flashed ok in spite of
> an error during erease and sometimes there is either no such error or
> the error causes writing to fail.
> I attach a console script log showing how it looks like (a series
> ofnon-verbose flashing attempts) and one verbose log.
[This is a HP board with i810 chipset and an SST49LF004A flash chip that
randomly ignores erase instructions, both sector or block erase]

As we found out in a private IRC discussion, the observed random failure
of erase commands (command seems to get ignored by the chip) disappear
on either of
 - using current flashrom with interleaved erase/write
 - removing the programmer_delay(10) calls from
erase_sector_jedec_common

But they are still present on current flashrom in erase-only mode
(flashrom -E), so it's no general change in flashrom behaviour. Also
switching to single user mode did not help.

If I understand it correctly, the delays in erase_sector_jedec_common
are mostly for chips that need commands to be written so slowly - these
chips should require a probe delay, too. So would there be a problem to
put these delays into a "probe timing not zero" test?

Regards,
  Michael Karcher