[flashrom] flashrom virtual machine policy?

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Mon Jun 27 15:49:39 CEST 2011

Op 27-6-2011 15:24, Jonathan A. Kollasch schreef:
> Unless it's on a simulator like SimNow! where the flash chip may be
> accurately emulated, flashrom will never detect a chip, and thus will be
> as useful as it could possibly be in a emulator/virtual machine.
>
>> I've only got some experience with VMware Workstation and not much
>> else with others, but how should a FlashROM that's being run in an
>> emulator react?
> Like it already does.

Current behaviour is choking on chipset detection and bailing out if I
remember correctly.

I was under the assumption the goal of Flashrom is to be able to
read/erase/write firmware whenever possible.
On real machines the method is dealing with finding chipsets and eeproms.
On virtual machines this method will fail, as will the goals of writing
and erasing. However the goal of reading should still be possible, even
though I admit there's little merit to it.