[flashrom] [RFC] forward declarations

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jun 26 15:56:09 CEST 2011

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:21:24 +0200
Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have quite a few pending patches which just move code around to avoid
> forward declarations. The sad thing is that some of those pieces of code
> were already moved around in the past to avoid forward declarations.
> Tracking code history becomes unnecessarily hard with all those moves,
> and I expect lots of code to be moved again and again as flashrom evolves.
>
> Yes, forward declarations are ugly, but not moving code around makes
> patches smaller and reviews easier. We don't have enough reviewer
> capacity, and while I argued against forward declarations in the past, I
> have to admit they are a good way to keep code changes as small as
> possible. New code should preferably be inserted where it does not need
> forward declarations, but moving old code around inside the same file is
> not a good thing IMHO.
>
> (And yes, I have a few patches in my local queue which move lots of code
> around, so I'd have to redo them as well, but hopefully the result can
> be reviewed more easily.)
>
> Thoughts?

i was astonished when i realized flashrom's policy of moving code
instead just adding declarations. i adapted to it, but i don't see the
advantage of it at all if you have to move code around and pollute
history. also declarations provide a good point to get an overview of
the source and add docs imho.