[flashrom] [RFC] forward declarations

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun Jun 26 12:21:24 CEST 2011

Hi,

we have quite a few pending patches which just move code around to avoid
forward declarations. The sad thing is that some of those pieces of code
were already moved around in the past to avoid forward declarations.
Tracking code history becomes unnecessarily hard with all those moves,
and I expect lots of code to be moved again and again as flashrom evolves.

Yes, forward declarations are ugly, but not moving code around makes
patches smaller and reviews easier. We don't have enough reviewer
capacity, and while I argued against forward declarations in the past, I
have to admit they are a good way to keep code changes as small as
possible. New code should preferably be inserted where it does not need
forward declarations, but moving old code around inside the same file is
not a good thing IMHO.

(And yes, I have a few patches in my local queue which move lots of code
around, so I'd have to redo them as well, but hopefully the result can
be reviewed more easily.)

Thoughts?

http://www.hailfinger.org/