[flashrom] It is hard to report a bug....

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jun 17 16:26:07 CEST 2011

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:36:41 +0200
Sven Anders <sven at anders-hamburg.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> first I want to thank you for your great work. I would like to use
> flashrom, to try coreboot.
>
> But I have trouble to use flashrom with a "Dell Optiplex" mainboard:
>
> -- snip --
>
> flashrom -r flash-file
> flashrom v0.9.2-r1141 on Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 (x86_64), built with
> libpci 3.1.7, GCC 4.4.5 20100728 (prerelease), little endian
> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> No coreboot table found.
> Found chipset "Intel ICH8/ICH8R", enabling flash write... tried to set
> 0xdc to 0x3 on ICH8/ICH8R failed (WARNING ONLY)
> WARNING: SPI Configuration Lockdown activated.
> FAILED!
> This chipset supports the following protocols: FWH,SPI.
> Found chip "Spansion S25FL008A" (1024 KB, SPI) at physical address
> 0xfff00000.
> ich_spi_send_command: Internal command size error for opcode 0xab, got
> writecnt=4, want =1
> Reading flash... Read operation failed!
> FAILED.
>
> -- snap --
>
> I have used the flashrom version from debian squeeze. So I thought: "I
> should use a newer version" .

good idea, because 0.9.2 is ancient. ;)
you may not be able to succeed with the current developers version
either, but i would really like to see a (verbose i.e. with parameter
-V) log of an read attempt with it. i am currently working on better
support for intel chipsets.

> But when I try to download it from:
>
> http://www.flashrom.org/Downloads
>
> I have got a page with an error: "Status Code: 404"

thanks for reporting that. the downloads page works fine, it is the
link to the (previously updated) coreboot server that no longer works.

> So I try to open a bug on:
> http://www.flashrom.org/trac/flashrom/newticket
>
> I have spend realy time to put in the right text, but when I pressed
> "Create Ticket" the Web Page said somethink like, it would be junk and
> will be discarded, so I have done this work for nothing.

when i go there it clearly states "New tickets you submit will be
routed for moderation. If you have an account, please log in first."
so it may not be discarded but in the moderation queue. i dont have
access to it, but in that case it will be dealt with.