[flashrom] It is hard to report a bug....

Sven Anders sven at anders-hamburg.de
Fri Jun 17 15:36:41 CEST 2011

Hi,

first I want to thank you for your great work. I would like to use
flashrom, to try coreboot.

But I have trouble to use flashrom with a "Dell Optiplex" mainboard:

-- snip --

flashrom -r flash-file
flashrom v0.9.2-r1141 on Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 (x86_64), built with
libpci 3.1.7, GCC 4.4.5 20100728 (prerelease), little endian
flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
No coreboot table found.
Found chipset "Intel ICH8/ICH8R", enabling flash write... tried to set
0xdc to 0x3 on ICH8/ICH8R failed (WARNING ONLY)
WARNING: SPI Configuration Lockdown activated.
FAILED!
This chipset supports the following protocols: FWH,SPI.
Found chip "Spansion S25FL008A" (1024 KB, SPI) at physical address
0xfff00000.
ich_spi_send_command: Internal command size error for opcode 0xab, got
writecnt=4, want =1
Reading flash... Read operation failed!
FAILED.

-- snap --

I have used the flashrom version from debian squeeze. So I thought: "I
should use a newer version" . But when I try to download it from:

http://www.flashrom.org/Downloads

I have got a page with an error: "Status Code: 404"

So I try to open a bug on:
http://www.flashrom.org/trac/flashrom/newticket

I have spend realy time to put in the right text, but when I pressed
"Create Ticket" the Web Page said somethink like, it would be junk and
will be discarded, so I have done this work for nothing.

So I hope, someone will fix this 3 reported bugs:

* Problem with flashrom on a Dell Optiplex
* Not working download link.
* Not working Issue Tracker (if it should not be used by users, the link
to report bugs should be hidden for them)

Best Regards
Sven Anders