[flashrom] Supermicro success (X8DT3) and failure/bricking (X8SIE).

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jun 12 20:57:58 CEST 2011

On Fri, 27 May 2011 02:08:56 -0700
Bill Broadley <bill at broadley.org> wrote:

> First the success.  I upgraded the BIOS on a Supermicro X8DT3 without
> problem.
>
> I upgraded it to version 2.0a of the BIOS with a release date of 09/14/2010.
>
> I was asked to send a flashrom -V, attached.

hello bill!

thanks for your report. i have added the used chip and mainboard to our
database and will commit it later.

> The bad news, my Supermicro X8SIE completely bricked.  During the flash:
> # flashrom -w x8sie0.527
> flashrom v0.9.2-r1141 on Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (x86_64), built with
> libpci 3.1.7, GCC 4.5.1, little endian
> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> No coreboot table found.
> Found chipset "Intel 3420", enabling flash write... OK.
> This chipset supports the following protocols: FWH,SPI.
> Found chip "Atmel AT25DF321" (4096 KB, SPI) at physical address 0xffc00000.
> Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.
> Writing flash chip... Erasing flash before programming... Erasing flash
> chip... spi_block_erase_20 failed during command execution at address 0x0
> spi_block_erase_52 failed during command execution at address 0x0
> Verification impossible because read failed at 0x1000 (len 0x100)
> ERASE FAILED!
> spi_chip_erase_60 failed during command execution
> Verification impossible because read failed at 0x1000 (len 0x100)
> ERASE FAILED!
> FAILED!
> ERASE FAILED!
> FAILED!
> Your flash chip is in an unknown state.
> Get help on IRC at irc.freenode.net (channel #flashrom) or
> mail flashrom at flashrom.org!
> DO NOT REBOOT OR POWEROFF!
>
> I tried to read the image to see if I could tell if it was either the
> old ROM or the new:
> flashrom -r old-unknown.rom
> Reading flash... Read operation failed!
> FAILED.
> Found chipset "Intel 3420", enabling flash write... OK.
> This chipset supports the following protocols: FWH,SPI.
> Found chip "Atmel AT25DF321" (4096 KB, SPI) at physical
>                    address 0xffc00000.
>
> I found a rather promising mention in the manual of taking a USB key and
> copying the BIOS image (x8sie0.527 in this case) to super.rom then hold
> down <Ctrl> and <Home> simultaneously during bootup.  Said system turns
> on, network lights come on, motherboard controlled fans come up.  The
> USB's devices LEDs however never light.
>
> I suspect it's a loss, but I'm open to suggestions.
>
> If I do replace it I'll get another LGA1156 single socket server
> motherboard.  Any motherboard that's known to work with flashrom would
> be a bonus.

you are using an ancient version of flashrom (debian and ubuntu shipped
this version waaaay longer than needed...).
especially for such new boards please consider using the latest
development code or at least the latest stable (0.9.4 will be released
soon). and trust flashrom if it tells you to not power off the machine.
usually it is right. and usually we can recover from this kind of
situations with some effort.

i am not familiar with the 0.9.2 code and the log is not verbose
enough so i cant tell exactly what went wrong. the board certainly could
be repaired with the right tools (either by ISP or unsoldering the SPI
chip), but if the recovery procedure the vendor suggests does not work,
there is usually no way without touching the hardware. sorry.