[flashrom] Message levels and content

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Jul 22 01:42:56 CEST 2011

Hi,

it has become quite obvious that there are different views about how
much output flashrom should provide at default verbosity.
I'd like to keep line count down, but at the same time I acknowledge
that long-running operations need some user feedback. Those goals are
not easily reconcilable and there will be some friction.
Others would like to upgrade the message levels of quite a few messages
and introduce a separate quiet mode which is less verbose than default mode.

Given that this dicussion revolves around the UI and different people
expect different things, I don't want to "solve" this by decree.
Instead, I hope for consensus.

We definitely need to reach a decision, but maybe we can do this with
the help of use cases and by examining typical flashrom output. I'm sure
there is some low-hanging fruit where the message content/level can be
adjusted and where people agree on the changes.

http://www.hailfinger.org/