[flashrom] a truly dumb compaq BIOS

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jul 19 09:30:10 CEST 2011

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 14:41:31 -0700 (PDT)
Viv Eshwar <viveshwar at yahoo.com> wrote:

> ((So, your program talked to me as per this:))
>
> Please send the output of "flashrom -V" to flashrom at flashrom.org to help us finish support for your chipset. Thanks.
>
> ((So here's what you asked for.  Have a ball!

hello

the interesting part is actually above that line.

> I'm having a lot of fun with my Debian OS, but this machine has just been fighting it all the way down the line, and now I'm locked out of the BIOS.  It really, really wants to belong to microsoft!  If you can help me fix it, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks, Viveshwar.  ))

can you please explain more what exactly happened?

in the case you have written your bios with flashrom successfully
already the following paragraph can be ignored.

the part of the log you sent us indicates that a software write
protection is enabled on the flash chip. we handle that case as long as
there is no hardware protection too. in the latter case there is either
a jumper on the board to enable bios updates or you we need to add a
small piece of code.

what exactly do you mean by "I'm locked out of the BIOS"? can you no
longer access the bios user interface to change some settings?
please name the exact motherboard/computer model.