[flashrom] flashrom can't find flash device on 'Chaintech' motherboard.

Craig Magee psybertao at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 08:21:03 CET 2011

Someone gave me an old system before Christmas.  It's a nice box for
something from the turn of the millennium, and in good order.  The
case particularly is nice, so I decided replace my network/file server
with it.
Rather than replacing the board I tried to use it as is, but the BIOS
balks at the idea of booting from a 500GB hard-drive.  I know there
are other ways I can boot and mount it, but have always wanted to try
coreboot and though this would be a neat project.
The board is a Chaintech, unfortunately I haven't been able to find a
model number.  It looks very similar to the Asus P2B: Intel® 440BX -
Intel® 82371BX - Winbond™ W83977TF(visually verified).

I currently have LFS installed.  flashrom tells me "No EEPROM/flash
device found.  Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't
found automatically."  I'm a bit sad about that.

Here are links to the flashrom, lspci, and superiotool outputs that I
was told to post in IRC, and will be following up any leads in the
chat room as well as here.  Sorry if I should really be attaching them
to the email instead.
lspci -nnvvvxxx http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=315
flashrom -v http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=316
superiotool -deV http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=317