[flashrom] Why is ther not a simple How to?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Jan 12 01:05:58 CET 2011

Auf 11.01.2011 11:48, Michael Karcher schrieb:
> Am Montag, den 10.01.2011, 11:26 -0500 schrieb Dan Perry:
>
>>> You are looking at the *source* code of a unix manual page. Please use
>>> "man -l flashrom.8" instead to read that file in a formatted way.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>   Michael Karcher
>>>
>> Thanks for the reply, but where is that?
>>
> Where is what? The file you quoted is included in the flashrom source
> code as "flashrom.8". If you have installed a flashrom binary from a
> distribution, the man page is already installed, and can be invoked by
> running "man flashrom". Be advised that the flashrom binary from debian
> stable ("lenny") is extremely outdated, though.

The following URL usually has a nicely formatted man page:
http://www.flashrom.org/trac/flashrom/browser/trunk/flashrom.8

Unfortunately the groff utility is completely broken and does not handle
UTF-8 characters natively. Our man page uses UTF-8 characters and that
causes groff to explode before it renders the man page. I'll check if we
can work around that.

http://www.hailfinger.org/