[flashrom] Success Report: Rayer SPI programmer with SST25VF080B

Justin Chevrier jchevrier at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 17:21:10 CET 2011

Just wanted to do a report to say that I was able to successfully
write a SST25VF080B chip using the Rayer SPI external programmer
support. Output:

root at sysresccd /mnt/temp/dfi % ./flashrom -p rayer_spi -w ./I35RD924.BIN
flashrom v0.9.3-r1205 on Linux 2.6.35-std164-i386 (i686), built with
libpci 3.1.4, GCC 4.4.5, little endian
flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Found chip "SST SST25VF080B" (1024 KB, SPI) at physical address 0xfff00000.
Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.
Writing flash chip... Erasing flash before programming... Erasing
flash chip... SUCCESS.
done.
COMPLETE.
Verifying flash... VERIFIED.

This was required after a failed flash using winflash on a DFI
BloodIron P35-T2RL board. Attempts to write the chip while still on
the board
(via the vendor provided header) failed as the chip could not be
recognized so I had to remove the chip from the board. On top of that
the 3.3V supply from
the programming PC (from the ATX connector) did not appear to be clean
enough even with a 1000uF capacitor right at the chip.
I needed to power the chip with 2 AA batteries.

Thanks for the great software guys!

Photos (warning, full resolution images):

Programmer:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/2630/img3799jv.jpg

Programmer in action:
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2251/img3790z.jpg

Closeup of SST25VF080B ready for programming:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/3889/img3794r.jpg

Justin