[flashrom] Read/Fast Read chip status sheet (re-send)

Rudolf Marek r.marek at assembler.cz
Sat Feb 12 17:52:14 CET 2011

Hi,

I believe Carl-Daniel did some RFC patch. I checked the VIA SPI and it seems the
Fast Read Command should work. Also SB700 seems to have kind of support for this
on register level, but in contrary the 45215_sb710_ds_pub_1.25.pdf says fast
reads mode is unsupported???

7.11      SPI ROM Interface
SPI ROM is supported up to 33 MHz. Maximum ROM size supported is 16 MB. Burst
read and fast read cycles are not supported.

Same for SB800.

I can try on VIA if it gets faster with some hacked version maybe.

Basically we could have just "Fast read" without any other data lines... It
works like a "read" command with extra clock cycles and higher frequency.

Thanks,
Rudolf