[flashrom] hp xw9400

Michael Karcher flashrom at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 2 10:30:34 CET 2011

Am Dienstag, den 01.02.2011, 15:36 -0800 schrieb Julian Shulika:
> Hi, I use flashrom 0.9.3 now and have the error with command flashrom
> -w -m "hp:xw9400" bios.rom
> ERAISE FAILED at 0x000f0000! Expected=0xff read=0xe9 failed bite count
> from 0x000f0000-0x000f0fff: 0xf8d

This is bad. Version 0.9.3 (-r1204) first tries to erase the whole chip,
and only if that succeeds, it writes the new contents. In your case, it
has erased 15*64k of the flash chip successfully, and choked on the last
64k, so your ROM chip is *mostly* *empty* now. Please get at least
revision 1224 (via svn or snapshots) which adds partial writes and
leaves unchanged parts of the ROM unchanged and write a backup of your
ROM (I hope you made one) with that version.

> Before I flashed few xw9400 boards without any problem
That's interesting. Our current info about xw9400 is that they tie the
"top block lock" pin of the flash chip to "locked" in hardware, so
erasing/rewriting the last 64k can never work on these systems, unless
you override this hardware lock by shorting the two solder points next
to "F2" to make the boot block writeable.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher