[flashrom] Difference of factory bios and dumped image

Prakash Punnoor prakashp at arcor.de
Sat Dec 31 12:51:30 CET 2011

On 31.12.2011 11:39, Paul Menzel wrote:

> Am Samstag, den 31.12.2011, 10:55 +0100 schrieb Prakash Punnoor:
>
>> flashrom kind of works on my system, but not with the factory images. If I
>> read it out with flashrom and write it back with flashrom (also to a different
>> chip) it works. The sizes of factory and dumped image are same but they are
>> somewhat binary different. Any idea? The motherboard is Abit A-S78H. As I am
>> playing around with coreboot - so far unsuccessfully - I want to know whether
>> flashrom is writing the generated image correctly... I can upload both images
>> somewhere if interested. This is flashrom output on my system:
>>

>> flashrom v0.9.4-r1395 on Linux 3.2.0-rc7+ (x86_64), built with libpci 3.1.7,
>> GCC 4.5.2, little endian
>> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>>
>> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
>> Found chipset "AMD SB700/SB710/SB750/SB850". Enabling flash write... OK.
>> This chipset supports the following protocols: LPC, FWH, SPI.
>> Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L8005" (1024 kB, SPI) at physical address
>> 0xfff00000.
>> No operations were specified.
> Unfortunately this question seems not be listed in the FAQ. Most of the
> time some areas differ because the MAC address and other configuration
> data of the downloaded images differs [2]. I hope you mean the
> downloaded image by factory/vendor image.
To clarify:
- Image I got from vendor web page: Flashed with flashrom won't work
(machine doesn't POST). Flashed with awdflash works.
- Image flashed with awdflash, dumped from bios chip using flashrom and
writing back using flashrom (to an empty chip also) works (machine does
POST and I can boot my OS)
- I haven't tried writing flashrom dumped image using awdflash.
- If I write a dumped image using flashrom and later do a flashrom -v it
will complain about some difference. But flashrom -w verify pass was OK.

This makes my head scratch and I wonder whether flashrom is working 100%
correctly - especially using the generated coreboot rom.

Regards,

Prakash