[flashrom] Difference of factory bios and dumped image

Prakash Punnoor prakashp at arcor.de
Sat Dec 31 10:55:08 CET 2011

Hi,

flashrom kind of works on my system, but not with the factory images. If I
read it out with flashrom and write it back with flashrom (also to a different
chip) it works. The sizes of factory and dumped image are same but they are
somewhat binary different. Any idea? The motherboard is Abit A-S78H. As I am
playing around with coreboot - so far unsuccessfully - I want to know whether
flashrom is writing the generated image correctly... I can upload both images
somewhere if interested. This is flashrom output on my system:

flashrom v0.9.4-r1395 on Linux 3.2.0-rc7+ (x86_64), built with libpci 3.1.7,
GCC 4.5.2, little endian
flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Found chipset "AMD SB700/SB710/SB750/SB850". Enabling flash write... OK.
This chipset supports the following protocols: LPC, FWH, SPI.
Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L8005" (1024 kB, SPI) at physical address
0xfff00000.
No operations were specified.

Regards,

Prakash