[flashrom] Coreboot failure on GA-MA78GM-S2HP Rev. 2.0 motherboard

Donovan Lavinder drmario2007 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 17:26:31 CEST 2011

I originally wanted EFI and other features that will allow me to use my
motherboard for few years out. So, I downloaded archived coreboot firmware
package, and I found one "baked" firmware ROM under folder MA78GM as the
motherboards under this family seems to be having the same chipsets, so I
went to burn my own coreboot in FreeDOS using flashrom. Now, it first
exclaimed that it found MXIC MX25L8005 chipset, but it tried 4-bytes RDID
and failed, however, I was able to erase the BIOS chip fine. Next, I wrote
the firmware - after it said "done", it froze - I reset it, it kept
reverting back to oh-so-annoying Award BIOS... No wonder my motherboard is
SO picky!

Here, I wrote up on the paper:
flashrom Ver. 0.9.3 - r1205 (on Freedos boot CD - all I have had, no floppy
disk and it won't boot from USB disk.... I may try spare hard drive if
needed...)
- 4-byte RDID refusal (although erasure was successful)
Motherboard: Vendor - Gigabyte / Model - GA-MA78GM-S2HP
CPU: AMD Phenom II X940 Black Series 3.0GHz quad-core (Deneb) CPU
RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR-II 800MHz 1GB x2 (2GB) on dual-channel memory bus
Video card: Vendor - Gigabyte / Model - GV-R467ZL-1GI - FW Ver. - F12 / VPU
- AMD Radeon HD 4670 with 1GB 800MHz GDDR3 on 128-bit bus
* I removed my hard drive (with my personal documents and Windows XP) during
the firmware flash to ensure the data aren't touched in a way.

I would like to know how I can get my motherboard to quit being all so picky
- otherwise any other methods known to work perfectly on the GA-MA78GM-S2HP
motherboard any of you may have up and running the coreboot firmware.

Thanks for your help!

--
"Mamma-mia, there's Koopa troopa in Mushroom Kingdom!"