[flashrom] SPI. RDID, REMS, RES and other probe variants

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Aug 17 00:09:02 CEST 2011

Hi,

Stefan Tauner mentioned that we use probe methods inconsistently: Some
SPI chips use RDID, some use REMS, some use RES, and then there are
various variants (mostly varied response length) of those probe
functions. The reason is that we originally had exactly one possible
probe function per chip. With SPI chips, there are up to 5 different
probe functions for the same chip, each with a different ID. Fun!

We need to revamp the probing architecture, preferably in a future-proof
way.

Possible solutions:

- Handle probing like erase, i.e. an array of ID+function pairs.

- Add n variants of each chip, one per probe function. That's what works
with the current architecture and what has been done for a few chips in
the past.

- Something completely different which I haven't thought of.

Comments? I once had a prototype patch for the first solution, but it
bitrotted and I was not happy with the design back then, but nowadays
the flashrom architecture is better and this could be done in a non-ugly
way.

http://www.hailfinger.org/