[flashrom] flashrom -V

Melchior FRANZ melchior.franz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 09:44:26 CEST 2011

* Daniel Housar -- Wednesday 10 August 2011:
> MainBoard: MSI K9N Neo V2 (K9N Neo-F V2)
> flashrom v0.9.4-r1395

I have the same board, and I flashed it successfully with v0.9.3-r1370
about a month ago (-> BIOS v2.9).

After booting it first seemed to have gone wrong: early in the boot
phase the BIOS rebooted, and I was in an endless loop. I couldn't
go into the setup, and I couldn't even read the error message. So
I recorded a film with my mobile's cam, and wanted to watch it in slow
motion to decipher the message. But in the meantime the BIOS had
stopped rebooting and showed a prompt. Unfortunately I didn't note
down the text, but after confirming everything went fine.

I guess I should have:
- reset my BIOS to factory default/"optimal" settings before flashing
  (Maybe some of the custom settings didn't work well with the new
  BIOS? Though one would assume that they get reset anyway.)
- gone into single-user mode for flashing, with as few apps running
  as possible (some of them froze, and KDE decided to forget some of
  my settings)

But again, apart from this little adventure everything worked fine.

m.