[flashrom] reading the bios on an asus P5VD2-MX

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Aug 10 02:30:16 CEST 2011

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 20:47:05 +0200
Kurt Jaeger <pi at nepustil.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> See below.
>
> flashrom v0.9.3-r1205 on FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE (i386), built with libpci 3.1.7, GCC 4.2.1 20070719  [FreeBSD], little endian
> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>
> […]
> Found chip "Winbond W39V040(F)C" (512 KB, LPC) at physical address 0xfff80000.
> printlock_w39v040c: Boot block #TBL is unlocked, rest of chip #WP is unlocked.
> […]
> This flash part has status UNTESTED for operations: PROBE READ ERASE WRITE
> The test status of this chip may have been updated in the latest development
> version of flashrom. If you are running the latest development version,
> please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org if any of the above operations
> work correctly for you with this flash part. Please include the flashrom
> output with the additional -V option for all operations you tested (-V, -Vr,
> -Vw, -VE), and mention which mainboard or programmer you tested.
> Please mention your board in the subject line. Thanks for your help!
> Reading flash... done.

hello kurt and thanks for your report!

we have split that chip definition into two parts some time ago (the
W39V040C version has an LPC interface, the W39V040FC is FWH-compatible;
probably write protection also differs and that's the reason for said
change, but i am not entirely sure).

afaics your board/chipset configuration supports both buses, hence your
report does not really help. a retest with the latest stable version
(0.9.4) or a development snapshot would be appreciated!
it would probably detect both chips and you would have to select the
correct one.