[flashrom] dbg2 and further plans

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Aug 1 23:52:52 CEST 2011

in the first step carldani wants to introduce a verbosity level between
debug and spew.
the attached patch adds such a thing.

i argued that using a consistent naming scheme that indicates verbosity
with a number after the printing type instead of "info", "err", "dbg",
"spew" etc. would be better. for example msg_p2 (programmer messages at
verbosity level 2) or msg_g3 (general messages at verbosity level 3).
this was vetoed (for now at least ;).

instead of the multiple -V parameters we could add a number after the
first V (e.g. -V2 for verbosity level 2). this way we could also
include a silent mode more easily without a new character for the
parameter. there are no concrete plans for this though (afaik :).
my plan was to use the same numbers here and in the code to indicate
the level and to make -V0 the silent mode where only errors are
reported (or even nothing, and -V1 the error only mode..).

later the library code should support different verbosity levels for
different types (e.g. verbosity 1 for generic messages, but verbosity 3
for programmer messages). this does not need to be instantly available
for cli users though.

i probably forgot some things that have been discussed (and that's a
reason why i wrote the above so that at least that's not lost somewhere
in my head :).

we would like to hear any input of other devs regarding this of course!