[flashrom] [RFC] Can flashrom be configured and built as a programmer only tool

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Apr 20 13:10:46 CEST 2011

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:20:30 +0800
"Bao, Zheng" <Zheng.Bao at amd.com> wrote:

> Since the Dediprog can work now, if I just want to use flashrom as a
> programmer interface, I may erase the host BIOS accidently. I think if
> the flashrom is built without the self-programming feature by some
> easy settings, I don't have to worry about it.

maybe i am missing something, but would setting CONFIG_INTERNAL to "no"
in the makefile achieve what you are looking for?

if we continue to support more and more non-internal devices it might
even be a good idea to change the default behavior:
if the internal interface is not explicitly named as parameter on the
cli, warn and ask the user if he really wants to flash the current
motherboard. what do others think about this?